01 October 2013

Smells Like Teen Flannel





Soft.
Caressing.
Messing with my grunge.
Hard edged music has no place
surfaced in flannel.
But I love
the warmth;
the comfort, but something’s not right!
I stay up half the night
writing songs. Is it wrong to fill
“Love songs” with bitter angst, while
plaid and staid flannel is against my skin?
How can I win? Find nirvana?
Do I wanna? Can Cobain be channeled
sans the flannel? I can’t tell
but it sure smells like it!

© JPW – 2013

Margo Roby: Wordgathering - Poem Tryouts: Flannel Me This



4 comments:

  1. You grinned all the way through writing this, didn't you? I like the way these lines read,
    Hard edged music has no place
    surfaced in flannel.
    Something about using surface as the verb. You leave me with a grin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is contagious and the best medicine... so, to your health! :D

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! We went the same directions, sorta. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, De. Can't think flannel without thinking the great northwest and Seattle grunge.

      Delete

I would appreciate feedback on my work. If we don't learn, we'll never grow.